Monday, May 4, 2009

Some things about trips with 2 year olds

Apparently two year-old children like to sleep in their own homes and not at hotels. I sort of expected this, but I did not expect the extreme we experienced either. Last summer we went to Iowa for a trip, and as long as Maggie was in bed with Mommy she was fine. This time, not so much. Jeremy and I started off with her in the bed between us. She thought it was so much fun that she didn't want to go to sleep. After at least an hour of telling her to be quiet, lay down and sleep, we got fed up and put her in the pack n play. She cried for 15 minutes straight at least. Then we put her back in our bed, and she fell asleep shortly thereafter. Which put us at about 9:30pm. Not too bad right. Until we are jolted awake at 11:30pm by a screaming hysterical child, yelling, "I want my eyebrows, I want my eyebrows!" She wouldn't calm down for me or for Jeremy. The scream not only woke us up, but startled Miles. Which led to a hotel room of panic as we tried to prevent all the crying from waking everyone else in the hotel. Maggie then began to cry for a nutrigrain bar and goldfish which she just held onto as she stared at the tv. It had been turned on as some sort of calming device. So for about an hour Maggie gazed into space gripping her "cookie bar and goldfish." At some point I said can I take those from you. Sure she says, and lays down and is out in less than 2 minutes. She woke once more at 1:30, apparently sitting up and seeing us still there calmed her enough for her to lay right back down. She then fell asleep horizontally across the bed, head on my legs and kicking Jer the rest of the night. But thereafter Miles thought it would be fun to wake up and eat every two hours or so the rest of the night. I am not so sure if I should look forward to our trip to Michigan in June or just cancel it. :) Give me a little time to recover and we'll see.

1 comment:

The Drakes said...

I hate it when I cant find my eyebrows. Seriously, I cant sleep without them! That is a crazy story. Ari turns 2 in August... Oh Boy.... :)